Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I just put Ben down to bed and he is wearing new pajamas (size 9 months). . . how can that be when he is only 15 weeks old today? They are a soft pale blue color with a little puppy and turtle on the bottom left leg...I love to see Ben in baby soft clothes. Of course he is adorable in everything, but there is something about a baby with soft colors on them that makes their skin seem almost ethereal - like they're so fresh from God that they still have a little heaven in their skin and their smell. I think that's why holding a baby is so good for our souls. It's like a little piece of heaven on earth - just enough to keep us going until we get to the other side. I have been thinking a lot about those on the other side today... It rained all day long and Ben and I both got a little stir crazy and cranky - we had a late trip to Barnes & Noble tonight just to get out of the house (Daddy had a late meeting, so he couldn't join us.) I had a pumpkin spice latte (decaf of course!) and we strolled around looking at books and cards (of course) and finally settled on a new journal for me. It was pink and had verses from the book of Psalms scattered all throughout it and it made me miss Beth terribly. It is difficult to comprehend that this Friday will mark 6 years since Beth made it to the other side. . . it seems at times she has missed so much that it feels like she has been gone even longer and yet, I feel her so close at other times, it's like she can't possibly be gone. Every time I read a book with Ben, I think of her. I will always remember Beth reading to all of the children and how much they loved that time. It forces me to remember that reading a book to Ben RIGHT NOW is always more important than cleaning up or folding laundry or checking e-mail. I have to take these moments as they happen and scoop them up like the treasures that they are. Time is too fleeting and these moments are too precious not to savor them down to the last drop.

2 comments:

  1. You're the best mama ever. Love you, WMB

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...like they're so fresh from God that they still have a little heaven in their skin and their smell." What a beautiful thought, Ashley. I think I just might remember that line for the rest of my life.

    I simply cannot wait to meet that baby of yours!!

    ReplyDelete